On Mon, 6 Oct 2014 06:40:06 -0500 Rick Knoble via Mercedes
<mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

> >global cooling which was why the >government took away R-12
>
> R-12 was taken off the market because it eroded the ozone layer in the
> upper atmosphere. It was lauded as a perfect coolant because it is
> extremely stable. That attribute was it's downfall, because it was so
> stable, it didn’t degrade until it reached the upper atmosphere
> (perhaps stratosphere?) where it's molecules were split into their base
> atoms and the chlorine contained within caused the destruction of the
> ozone. I'd be more than happy to provide footnotes to back these facts
> up, but I just don't feel like looking it up right now.

Those are the facts as I heard them in graduate school.

However,

      The average molecular weight of our atmosphere is 28.97. [1]

      The molecular weight of hydrochloric acid is 36.46.      [2]

      The molecular weight of chlorine gas 70.90

      The molecular weight of R-12 (CCl2F2) is 120.91.

      The heavier the gas, the more likely it will be closer to the earth.

The folks who had R-12 removed forgot about the antarctic volcano that is
spewing hydrochloric acid as well as the fact that during the antarctic
winter, there is no ionizing radiation from the sun to make ozone.

Craig

1. http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/molecular-mass-air-d_679.html

2. From Los Alamos National Laboratory Chemistry Division
   Periodic Table of the Elements

           Hydrogen    1.008 g/mol
           Carbon     12.01  g/mol
           Fluorine   19.00  g/mol