Folks

i have a mercedes related problem. Thursday as i was driving to atlanta rush
our traffic, my 1982 300td made a couple of hard shifts.

Right after that i realized that i had no boost on the brakes when i needed to
stop.

Also, the engine would no longer shutoff with the vacuum system (with the key)

I removed the large vacuum line into the brake booster and by thumb, i had
almost no suction.

I limped through my trip using 2 foot braking since i had no boost.

Yesterday, i removed the big vacuum line and squirted a few tablespoons of
press wash solved (petroleum solvent) and also a little bit of acetone/atf mix.
Then i did a vacuum test and i seemed to have about 22 inches of Hg which i
think is the spec?

I inspected the lines and everything seemed ok.

With it all hooked up, the car now stops with the key.

I have vacuum boost perfectly with the first stop on the brakes, but a second
pedal push seems to indicate a loss of boost.

What is with that? Pads are all fresh within the last 10k miles and no loss of
brake fluid, etc.

The vacuum system is the forward stuff + key shutoff  …. the central locks and
climate control and i assume the vacuum tank (isn't it in the rear) are
disconnected

thanks

xx rick
Rick Hawkins