Looking back through my records, it appears that the White Whale
head-change saga has been going on for about three years.  During most of
those three years, the car ('87 300 TD) sat in my garage, and mold began to
bloom inside.

When I finished the head install a couple weeks ago, I only gave a cursory
cleaning of the interior hard surfaces with Windex glass cleaner (seats,
steering/dash, center console).  The mold smell was awful.  My wife
approached the outside of the car once and started to insert the key to
unlock the door, but the mold smell drove her back.

I had considered several options for cleaning or "re-mediating" the mold,
primary among those was ozone gas treatment.  To that end, I purchased an
ozone generator from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007GS3T8O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Earlier this week we had low humidity (for Charleston) of 40 to 50%, so I
decided it was time to dose the White Whale.  I ran the generator and a fan
for two hours, and during the last five minutes of that I started the
engine and ran the AC on recirculation to get circulate ozone throughout
the duct-work. After that treatment, the mold smell was greatly reduced but
still somewhat present.  I had to air the car out and run an errand.  When
I returned from the errand, the humidity was still low, so I closed up the
car and performed another treatment, this time running the generator for
about three hours, and then leaving the car sealed up overnight.

The next day I thoroughly aired out and vacuumed the car, and then
submitted the car to the ultimate test: a day of running errands with
SWMBO.  My wife is extremely sensitive to mold, so if she was satisfied,
then I knew I had succeeded.  We first left all the windows down and AC off
and drove around the neighborhood.  Nose OK?  Check!  Next, window mostly
up, driving on highway: Check!  Ultimate test: close up all the windows and
crank the AC on recirculate:  Pass!