THE  TACTICS
By Wilton Strickland

By 22 Dec '72, for four nights in a row, nearly 100 B-52's each night flew in-trail (one behind the other) at 35,000 to 36,000 feet at 450 knots true airspeed (TAS) (with a tailwind of about 100 knots) to an initial point (IP) 90 nautical miles northwest of Hanoi where they accelerated to 470 knots and turned southeast and split off to go their respective targets in and around Hanoi. The plan also required straight and level flight (no evasive maneuvers) from IP to target, turn west, immediately decelerate to 450 knots after release and withdraw against a headwind of nearly 120 knots. The aircraft were grouped into cells of three each with spacing of 15 seconds between each aircraft within the cell and 1 minute between cells. This gave the enemy air defense system plenty of time to track and fire on each aircraft as it came within range and get ready for the next one. Long before we got into the target area, the enemy already knew our exact altitude, speed, spacing and approach route - a large part of their acquisition and tracking problem had already been solved for them by American staff planners. During withdrawal, the combination of deceleration to 450 knots, the turn into the 120-knot headwind and evasive maneuvers (zigzagging) to evade the many SAMs fired at us, resulted in a straight line ground speed of significantly less than 300 knots, drastically increasing our exposure time. Several B-52's were being shot down every night, except the second night. Three had been lost on the 18th, six on the 20th, and two on the 21st. North Vietnamese gunners later confirmed that it was relatively easy to acquire their targets by just looking in the same area as the preceding one and waiting. Because an open bomb bay full of iron bombs reflects more radar energy than a closed bay, they also could get a better picture of us when bomb bay doors were opened, usually at 60 seconds before release (time-to-go - TG). Another more vulnerable time for the BUFF was in the post-release turn, a procedure developed by Paul Tibbets during WW II to enhance crew survival after a nuclear weapon release by placing the airplane as far as possible from the detonation with the airplane straight and level and tail to the burst at shockwave arrival and is completely irrelevant in conventional bombing - there's no shockwave reaching our altitude. The turn gave a special advantage to the enemy, though, by exposing a much larger radar cross-section, and the aircraft's electronic counter measures beam patterns were shifted up and away to the side in the turn, allowing the defenders to better "paint" their targets - the defenders later said that returns on their scopes tended to "blossom" when we opened the doors and when we made the post-release turn. We air crewmen were damned mad about the incompetent planning. I was one of several crewmen who questioned and protested such tactics almost immediately. I stood during the pre-mission briefing at U-Tapao on the second night of the campaign and asked, "Who is planning such stupid tactics as this, and why?" The answer given was, "The planning is being done at Strategic Air Command (SAC) Headquarters in Nebraska, and the common route and altitude are used for 'ease of planning.'" My reply to this was to suggest that the staff "weenies" come and fly some of these missions to get some ideas about how to develop better tactics. "The North Vietnamese are using our common route and altitude, our in-trail formation, the long open-door time, the post-release turn and our slow withdrawal for 'ease of tracking and shoot-down.'" (This was later confirmed by North Vietnamese gunners.) Our 17th Air Division Commander, B/G Glenn Sullivan, sitting two rows directly in front of me on the front row turned and looked up at me during my question and comments. He said nothing, but I could tell that he agreed with me. I adamantly maintained that we should fly as fast as possible from the initial point (IP) through withdrawal, do evasive maneuvers as necessary when fired upon if we could be back to straight and level at release, approach the target from different directions and altitudes, open the doors as late as possible, eliminate the post-release turn and withdraw to the east over the Tonkin Gulf, taking advantage of the 100 to 120-knot tailwind to "get the Hell out of there" ASAP. Most of us who protested did so by questioning bad tactics and offering alternatives. Protests by some of the crewmen became much more active, however - one pilot refused to fly, was later court-martialed and discharged. After flying the original in-trail tactics dictated by the weenies in Nebraska for the first several nights and losing bombers to enemy gunners almost every night, B/G Sullivan, went around/over his superiors on Guam, contacted the SAC Commander-in-Chief (CINCSAC) directly and persuaded him to follow the advice of the air crewmen to develop more imaginative tactics. It would take two more days to get the plans changed, transmitted across the Pacific and put into action by the highly trained crewmen who were using their knowledge, experience, professionalism and initiative to accomplish the mission in spite of the faulty plans but at great cost. Immediately, we started approaching many different targets with many aircraft at or near the same time from several different directions at different altitudes. We began to fly with full power on the bomb runs, descending rapidly 1000 feet just before and again immediately after release and accelerating in the descents to 520 knots TAS as we withdrew to the east, resulting in ground speeds (up to ~640 knots or ~740 mph) double that using the original plans. Enemy air defense crews later reported being frustrated and overwhelmed by so many aircraft from so many directions at the same time. Many crews had already taken it upon ourselves to keep the doors closed until just a very few seconds before release and to do evasive maneuvers as necessary to avoid SAMs. Opening the doors just seconds prior to release and closing them immediately afterward did not give defenders on the ground time to react to the stronger radar return given by a BUFF with doors open. Because of the changes in tactics, bomber-loss rate improved significantly. Though losses were reduced with the changes, they were not completely eliminated, however - two were lost on the 26th, and two were lost on the 27th.