Thanks, Wilton.  A fascinating window into a day in the life.  I worked with
a Colonel Mike LaBeau at the F-16 Program Office in 1989-1990 at
Wright-Patt.  He was the Director of Manufacturing and I worked in
Engineering.   This Mike had been a POW so it must have been the same Mike
LaBeau.  Back in those days we delivered over 20 jets a month, not much by
WWII standards but way more than anything built today.

Sctt

Joyner
> and I talked at length about our families - how we loved them dearly and
> about how we were supposed to have gone home several days before, but
> had been delayed by the Linebacker II campaign.  We both wished each
> other well and wished for each other to be at home with our families soon.
>     Late that afternoon, as the crew buses were loading and leaving the
crew
> quarters area, the co-pilot on Morris' crew, Lt Hudson, ran up to me and
> asked to borrow my recorder cord (a cord that a radio technician had made
> for me to facilitate connecting my personal recorder into the aircraft
radio
> system).  I gave the cord to him and off they went to their pre-mission
> briefings and to Hanoi.
>     Before dawn the next morning, there came a knock on my door.  It was
the
> EW on my Kincheloe crew, coming to tell me that Morris' crew had been lost
> over Hanoi and that Col Joyner's bomber had crashed in the jungle just off
> the base.  Both bombers had been hit by SAMs, Morris' going down
> immediately and Col Joyner's making it back to base with 4 engines out on
> one side, making it very hard to fly, especially at low speed.
>     According to the officer in charge of U-Tapao air traffic control that
night,
> LtCol Prentis Ollis, who witnessed the landing attempt by Col Joyner's
> aircraft, they were having problems controlling the aircraft on descent.
As
> they tried to land, the aircraft continued to "float wobbly"  about 200
feet
> above the runway and crashed just beyond the departure end of the runway.
>     Only two of the crew survived.  The co-pilot, 1Lt Bob Hymel, was
pulled out
> by another pilot, Capt. Brent Diefenbach, who had landed a short time
> before, was on a crew bus nearby, saw the crash, commandeered a Thai
> vehicle and drove to the crash.  The gunner, wounded in flight, was also
able
> to scramble free of the wreckage.  (LtCol (Ret) Bob Hymel was killed at
his
> desk in the Pentagon during the terrorist attack on September 11, 2001.
He
> was buried at Arlington as a B-52 passed overhead in tribute.)
>     About midmorning the next day, several of us were sitting outside at
picnic
> tables in the crew quarters area, discussing the tragedies of the night
before,
> when suddenly we were very glad to see the young gunner from Morris' crew
> get off a bus nearby.  For a few minutes we hoped that the bad news of the
> previous night was untrue.  Our hopes for the rest of his crew were
quickly
> dashed, however, when he told us that he had not gone on the mission; he
> had gotten sick after engine start, and another gunner had taken his
place.
>     In March '73, the POW's who had survived the B-52 losses were
released,
> and I talked at length to the three surviving members of Morris' crew,
> Hudson, LaBeau and Vavroch, back home in Michigan.  The first thing Lt
> Hudson did when he saw me was to apologize profusely for losing my
> recorder cord.  (I tried to assure him that the cord had been the least of
my
> worries, of course.)  He said that a SAM had scored a direct hit on them,
> killing Capt. Morris, instantly and sending the aircraft out of control.
He gave