Quite interesting. The mirror is about 1/4" thick  at the top and 1/8" at the
bottom. It is held in place by the plastic  frame and there are 6 rubber
bumpers behind it that hold it in  securely. There is a thick piece of masking
tape across the back of the  mirror to protect the silver finish on the back of
the mirror. The ooze  is the minute amount of glue that holds that masking tape
on the back  of the mirror! Now it is more glue than on tape, but by no means
ALOT  of glue...just some seriously sticky tape. I was amazed that there was
enough to ooze like that year after year. I would bet that if you cut  the
crustaceuous glue off every winter after a few summers of oozing,  it would
stop...there just isn't that much in there to ooze!

  Chris

Christopher McCann, Squier Park, Kansas City, Missouri
-2005 Blue Point Siamese, "Rose"
-1992 Volkswagen Golf, diesel, 185K km, "Nanook"
-1987 300TD, 151K, "Rotkäppchen"
-1985 300SD, 211K, "Wulf"
-1976 240D, ?K, "AKP-Wagen" (Alternativen Kraftstoffs Prüfenlastwagen)
-1972 Jacobsen 21" Turbo Vent
-1971 Case 222 Hydrive, 12HP Kohler, 38" deck, Snowcaster, "One Banger"