I was a scout leader for a bit when my elder son participated in scouting.
We had a head leader (troop scouter?) who was quite adept at things like this. We went sledding one night when it was very cold and he fired the stove up to make hot chocolate for the troop.

My recollection is that he soaked a bit of kleenex with fuel and put it on the burner under and around the generator tube and then lit it on fire in order to warm up the generator tube to encourage vapourization of the fuel.

RB