Yep, another one already.

PERSPECTIVE
By Wilton Strickland

On the same morning in mid-January '73, when I returned to normal duties in my B-52H unit at Kincheloe AFB, MI, after flying bombing missions in B-52D's from Guam and Thailand, an inspection team initiated an Operational Readiness Inspection (ORI) of the unit. At some time that morning, I was standing in the hallway of our operations building chatting with friends about the joys of being safely back at home after dodging SAMs over Hanoi, when our wing commander, Col. Bob Herres, approached and said to me, "Wilt, we may have to ask you to fly the ORI mission. Do you think you can handle it?" (A bit of digression is necessary. Normally, B-52 crewmembers would study the ORI mission in great detail for weeks in preparation for one of a Strategic Air Command (SAC) unit's most important events - to fly an ORI mission, a simulated emergency, nuclear war order mission, including air refueling, celestial navigation, air-to-ground missile (with nuclear warhead) programming and simulated launch, low level navigation and simulated nuclear bombing on a route and bomb scoring sites never seen before by the crews. Every aspect of a unit, including administration, maintenance, supply, ground transportation, security, civil engineering, weapons loading, records, flight operations, tactical doctrine, control and employment of nuclear weapons, medical, - everything- was graded by an inspection team from higher headquarters to determine its readiness to go to war. After extensive study and preparation for the ORI mission, crews would present a detailed briefing on the mission to the wing commander or his senior representative who usually questioned the crewmen on certain details to determine his "readiness" to fly the mission. Only then would the crewman be "certified." There was a different ORI mission and low level navigation route each new six-month training period - 1 Jan through 30 Jun and 1 July through 31 Dec. Because of the limited number of inspection teams, some units would be inspected early during a training period, and others would be inspected late in the period - selected on a rotating basis at random by the inspectors. Until a unit was "hit" by the inspection, air crewmen had to re-study the mission periodically. Once a week, a crew would be selected at random to brief the wing commander or his senior representative again. This time, though, I had just returned to duty in the H model aircraft and did not know anything about the specific details of this particular ORI mission that may have been different from the usual.) I replied to The Colonel, "It's quite ironic that just a few days ago, I was wishing for a good, tough ORI mission to fly. How many SAM sites are on that route?"
   He assured me there were none.
I assured him that I could certainly "handle it," then. "From the perspective of the Linebacker II missions I was flying just a few days ago, a really "tough" ORI, simulated war mission should be quite enjoyable. Just give me the usual pre-mission briefings, and I'll be ready to fly it with pleasure." Thusly, the CO "certified" me standing there in the hall - neither he nor I mentioned any detail about the mission. So, yes, I flew the mission. 'Even played a couple of excerpts from my "Patton" tape (George C. Scott as Patton) over the inter-plane radio while taxiing to takeoff and during the flight, such as, "I'd be proud to lead you wonderful guys into battle anytime, anywhere." Another excerpt, "Some of you boys I know are wondering whether or not you'll chicken out under fire. Don't worry about it. I can assure you that you will all do your duty." As we were shutting down engines and equipment after landing, Colonel Herres rushed aboard the aircraft, stuck his head up beside me and said, "Wilt, I'll have to confiscate your tape."
    I replied, "What tape?"
    He said, "You know what tape."
Then, as he started laughing, "When the first Patton comment came on the radio, I nearly had a heart attack until the Inspector General (IG) in the car with me started laughing and talking about how the comments were such good morale boosters and an indication of the unit's high esprit de corps." The Colonel had been concerned that such comments on the radio during such a critical phase of the unit's inspection may have been viewed as a lack of professionalism and discipline. As he was backing down the entrance ladder, he yelled to me, "A masterful stroke, Wilt! ATTABOY!" BTW, the unit got an "Outstanding" on the inspection - not because of my Patton tape, of course, but 'cause the entire unit really did very well. There were many other good reasons, of course, but the unit's outstanding performance likely contributed significantly to The Colonel's promotion to B/G a few months later and a few years after that, promotion to General and an appointment as the first Vice Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.