Dan P. Wrote:

"That being said, my S420 consistently gets better mileage than the S500,
by at least 1-2 mpg. And the S500 is a coupe versus the S420 being a sedan.
I assume there is a difference in curb weight between the two. The average
fuel mileage on the S420 is 19.2 mpg, while the S500 is 17.1 mpg. The
records for the S420 are only from September of this year, while the S500
records are close to two year total.

I keep very detailed fuel records, so I have a high level of confidence in
my statements. I would add that both cars are in the same condition and are
very close in mileage (267k) although the S420 is three years newer than
the S500. Not sure how, if at all, that would come into play."

Could it be something as simple as the tires on the 420? Are they similar
tires? Less rolling resistance on the 420?

Don Snook
2000 BMW 740iL 212K
2006 Cadillac SRX (her car)
1992 Ford F-150 146K