I recently had the "WHOW what the heck is happening to battery cost"
discussion with my supplier when I purchased a pair of 8D 1000 cca
batteries for my new [to me] Mercedes bus and discussed the purchase of 10
group 31 batteries to use as the solar battery bank.

The answers I got seems to make sense. 1. Lead is now an EPA controlled
substance which requires draconian handling rules and systems be in place
for the manufacturers. 2. Many battery manufacturers have gone out of
business in the past 5 to 8 years so even if a battery carries a "brand
name" it is likely made by one of only two companies that now totally
dominate the market.

Old capitalism rule.. competition breeds product pricing competition. What
we had no longer exists, thus, price goes up..

Add to that, the production of new lead from mines has been shut down [EPA
draconian rules again] so scarcity of raw material is perceived to drive up
cost to build.

Ahhhhh... for the good old days... when an ounce of gold would buy a new
suit, a steak meal, a bottle of whiskey, and a night at the best sporting
house in town.

Grant...

The 2 left must have jiggered the regs (we don't need laws anymore) so that batteries can't be imported from other countries too. No Mexican of Chinee batteries on the shelf. Howcome? It ain't freight cost.