Nation to phase out diesel, reduce pollutionPublished: Monday, December 1,
2014

In an effort to phase out diesel fuel, France will begin ranking cars by
the amount of pollution they release.

Prime Minister Manuel Valls said in a speech Friday that the ranking system
will enable municipal governments to restrict access for the cars with the
most emissions.

Valls said new tax measures would have to guide the French to choose more
eco-friendly options. He said his administration will take steps to
minimize tax advantages for diesel fuel, which powers roughly 80 percent of
cars driven by French motorists.

"In France, we have long favored the diesel engine," Valls said. "This was
a mistake, and we will progressively undo that, intelligently and
pragmatically" (Geert De Clercq, Reuters
<http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/11/28/us-france-diesel-idUSKCN0JC1RU20141128>,
Nov. 28).