From: Mercedes [mailto:mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com] On Behalf Of Dan
Penoff via Mercedes
Sent: Friday, December 05, 2014 8:19 AM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] OT: Secure Storage, was Transcoding LPs to Digital

I agree with Tim.

After researching storage options to a level of detail I never planned, I
came to much the same conclusion.  If I was going with an off the shelf
solution it would be Synology.  FreeNAS was really attractive, given the
high level of configurability it offered.

Since I had an existing NAS, a DLink NAS-345 running five drives in RAID 5,
I have continued to use it.  However, realizing that a single volume RAID 5
setup did not provide the redundancy and setup I desired, I wiped it and
went to four drives in a Mirrored RAID configuration with two volumes. So I
have two separate volumes, each running on two mirrored drives.

This gives me the integrity and redundancy desired for my files for now. It
also gives me a performance gain over the previous single volume RAID 5
arrangement as well.

Not perfect, but it meets my needs. I pull the mirrors once a month and
rotate them out with another drive. The current drives go in the fire safe.

Dan

Sent from my iPad

> On Dec 5, 2014, at 9:18 AM, Tim Crone via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 4, 2014 at 11:23 PM, OK Don via Mercedes
> <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I copy (via automatic program) all changes to the folders I'm
>> interested in (photos, documents, music, etc.) from the primary disk
>> to a second disk in the PC, then again to an external disk. and on
>> one of our PCs, to a second external disk.. Very cheap and simple, it
>> all happens when I'm asleep, and I have three or four copies of
>> everything. when one disk dies, I just replace it, and it gets auto
>> brought up to date. I fought with SANs, NASs, and RAID at work for years,
didn't want to mess with it at home.

> I used to do something similar, but recent viruses have taken to
> destroying files in all online storage devices (then charging a
> bitcoin ransom for the recovery key, which may or may not work).  I
> have thought about investing in a tape drive (which is ironic given my
> employer :) but in practice I just keep a USB disk offline, and bring
> it up occasionally to do the replication.  The problem with rotating
> storage is that it needs to be spinning to keep working, so I can't
> leave it in a drawer and expect it to work.  There were some good
> deals on 64G USB sticks last week, but I didn't buy any since I don't have
a good plan for using them.

> Anyway, given the state of viruses, I would definitely recommend
> keeping a solid-state backup - flash, or DVD, or an offline disk -
> rather than depending on a system that uses Windows shares.
>
> To the original post, Synology is a good choice for low power, low
> noise, high configurability, reasonable cost and reliability.  If you
> roll your own, I have to agree with Dan that FreeNAS is the way to go.
> If you are willing to lose some abilities, many of the 802.11ac
> routers have USB ports that will accept a USB drive (or even multiple
> drives) and expose Windows and NFS shares.
>
> Merry Christmas to all,
> Tim

individuals are responsible for the content of the post.  The list owner has
no control over the content of the messages of each contributor.