'Listen to the quiet.  'Sounds like snow here this morning.

OK wilton et al.  Here is something to ponder for the Christmas quiet.

I have an MB problem in search of a solution. I am stumped, and the local MBguy is stumped too.

OM603, 1987 The engine either idles real slow, or real fast, randomly it may be a second or several seconds on each phase. Once you accelerate, the engine runs smoothly and normally. My first thought was electonic: EDS, I tried swapping the OVP relay, I tried completely disconnecting the EDS circuit. I also thought maybe the engine wiring harness was getting the dreaded self-destructing insulation. But with the electrical connection unhooked, the behavior does not change.

At this stage, it seems like something inside the governor is causing the problem. I think the next step is to take off the side plate and watch the rack to see if it is powered back and forth. MY guess is that it is and that hand force can't resist the rack movement. The low is always the same RPM, around 3-400 (the tach does not register that low), and the high RPM is about 900.

Because the two RPM levels are very distinct and the transistion is very abrupt, it seems to me that it is controlled by the rack, and not a matter of oil getting into the intake. Oil would cause more random RPM and more gradual transitions from low to high RPM. Taking off the side plate will confirm it is caused by the rack.

It is mostly annoying, but does not seem to really hurt anything. But I'd like to fix it, short of having to buy an IP or sending this pump off to repair.

I have seen one 124 OM603 governor fail before. it went high/low, but soon turned into on (slow)/off then went to off only in a matter of a few hours, and it did not run normally off idle when running. This one runs normally off idle.

I liked the old MB printed books where they explained the normal operation. That explanation might help determine what parts inside the governor or governor control circuit could cause such a problem.

I guess I may on the hunt for a good IP some day.