Yep; ATTABOY!

Wilton

----- Original Message ----- From: "Randy Bennell via Mercedes" <mercedes@okiebenz.com> To: "Rich Thomas" <richthomas79td...@constructivity.net>; "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Tuesday, December 30, 2014 5:43 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Grant's New Motorhome

Sounds like a story my uncle tells. They had a motorhome and had gone to Florida to Disney World from Canada. About the time they got there the oil pressure light came on. He checked it out and discovered the feed to the oil pressure gauge had cracked and was spraying oil. He poured in some more oil and stopped at a FLAPS for a new gauge etc and then while my aunt and cousins went into the park, he stayed in the parking lot and repaired the motorhome and then had a shower and a cold beer. He did not really care much about the park.

I have a similar story of my own but not for a motorhome.
My 86 Taurus kept make growling noises but I could not see anything wrong with it. This went on for months and I assumed sooner or later it would become obvious. We went to Grand Forks ND, about 140 miles away for the weekend. Went to Grand Forks on Friday and then another 70 miles south to Fargo on Saturday and came back to Grand Forks Saturday afternoon. It was October but a nice day and on the way back, I turned on the AC. There was a distinct growl from under the hood but then all was well. We got back to the motel in GF and later went out for dinner. That is when it became more obvious. The water pump was leaking and we were getting a fog out the back as we drove to dinner. This is back before Sunday shopping was common in ND so there was not much we could do about it. We started it up Sunday morning and drove a little bit out of town but it was pretty obvious that we had better not head for home. We rented a car and spent the day just looking around GF as not much was open. Monday morning I had a choice of either taking it to a local shop or doing it myself. I figured it would take about as long if I did it or waited for them to do so. I had no tools with but also thought I might as well buy tools as pay labour. We went to a FLAPS and got a water pump and some tools and I changed the pump in the parking lot at the motel. We were next door to the mall with a WalMart so my wife went back and forth to buy the things I had not thought of earlier - hand cleaner, paper towel, a screwdriver, etc. Got the pump on and returned the rental car by noon and headed for home. That was sort of a gold plated water pump as it cost us an extra day in the motel plus meals and a rental car as well as the cost of the parts and the tools and my wife and I each a day's pay. However, I still have the tools I bought that day and was quite proud of myself for doing it quickly in less than great circumstances. I had not done one on such a vehicle with the transverse V6 but the only real difference between it and more conventional vehicles that I had worked on in the past was the serpentine belt setup and the minimal space to work on it.

RB