On Thu, 15 Jan 2015 18:01:19 -0600 Peter Frederick via Mercedes
<mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

> All metal is much better, for heavy use you want to find an old one.
> New ones are all fancy electronics and crappy plastic, and while they
> will embroider like crazy, also cannot be repaired.  A co-worker who
> quilts all the time is still using the Singer she got in the 70's --
> it can be fixed, she's had to toss a couple newer ones because the
> speed controls fail and there are no parts.

I took my wife's Singer in for repair in the mid-80s. The repairman took
one look at it and said for not that much more than the repair charge I
could take home a used Bernina 807 and not have to wait for the repair.
I considered the situation and bought the Bernina.

I will second the all-metal, no-Windows-run-electronics. We still have
the Bernina and still use it.

Craig