My mechanic son is helping a friend with a problem with his car.
The story is like this:

It is a late model VW Jetta with a gas motor.
It has somewhere around 90K miles on it.
The oil pressure light started coming on and the friend assumed it was ok to keep on driving it because the dipstick showed that it had oil. He assumed that the pressure sender had gone bad and was going to get a new one. They have ordered a used replacement engine for $2300 and my son hopes to have it installed next weekend. They had the car towed in to the shop my son borrows from his wife's uncle' and he has now pulled the engine. He says it appears that the chain guide wore out and broke off and then the tensioner rubbed on the bottom of the timing chain until the chain broke.
Apparently the engine had become noisier.

The sort of disturbing thing is that I think my son said the friend is a helicopter mechanic.

RB