A man needs to know his limits.  One of mine is repairing outboard motors.

I've got a ~1973 Balboa 20 sailboat, with a 9.8 hp outboard from '74 or
'75.  Last year the cooling water pump gave up, so I decided to attempt the
repair myself.  The pump lives in the lower unit, but on my motor the bolts
that hold the lower unit in place were so corroded that I could not get it
off without damage.  After I'd cracked and broken a few of the aluminum
pieces off the lower unit, I knew I'd exceeded my limit.

Found a used replacement lower unit on Ebay, and a friend at church
recommended a mechanic on the other side of town.  Last week I took the
boat, motor, and parts over and dropped them off.  Spent about 30 minutes
talking with the fellow (who works out of his backyard), and after that
conversation I had a very good feeling about this gentleman.

He finished the work in a couple of days, and did an exceptional job.  I
was quite happy to pay him $200 for the repair, and I'll bring any future
work back to him.  It is really nice to find an honest, competent mechanic,
and not pay an arm and a leg to keep an old motor alive.