Hans Neureiter wrote:
Correct by saying these functions are semi separate. My original gauge
worked good, but the reserve light did not at all.
Than I installed a new sending unit. Here the reserve light works, but the
gauge is way off. Don't know why at this point (maybe it doesn't have that
4.7 ohm resistor in parallel like the old one has).
I tinkered with the old sender that was coated with algae and found a way to
clean it without braking the fine resistor wires. I plan on re-installing it
and see what's up with the new one.
Here is how it works:
The float has two contacts on opposite ends of its circumference that slide
up and down two resistor wires, making the combined length of the wire
greater as it descends, thus increasing resistance in the gauge circuit.
The reserve functions due to a brass disk at the bottom of the float
that bridges two fixed contacts at the empty position, completing a separate
circuit for the light. The reserve light has a second circuit that
illuminates the lamp at a lower intensity when turning on the key and gets
cancelled on start (self test).
The system works only properly if these contacts and the wires are clean.