I am a long-time lurker and rarely have anything to offer, when I even get the chance to read the list digests. The posts on first cars has been very interesting.

When I was in college, in 1977, I bought my first car - a 1953 Mercedes 300S Cabriolet. I had no idea how rare the car was when I bought it, neither did the seller, though. My education began 6 days later. I just bought it because it looked cool, and a friend's father had one similar to it.

I paid $2,500.00 for it. It was in OK condition, but for a lot of rust in what was left of the floor pans. The engine ran OK. It was loads of fun to drive, especially with the top down!

I repainted the car and replaced the leather interior. In addition, I "fixed" the rusted out floor pans with fiberglass (what did I know, then?). When I bought the car, it had been painted British racing green and the leather, apparently original, had been painted grey. I changed it to, well, you'll see in the link below.

Because I could not afford to maintain the car, and I needed something reliable for long-distance driving (which the car may have been, but I really didn't want to drive it 125 miles a day), I sold the car two years after I bought it for what I had in it: $10,000.00. I think a properly fully restored at that time was selling for $17,500.00. Mine was nowhere near restored, much less "fully" restored. It did look good, though.

A couple of weeks ago, I was watching the replay of the Barrett Jackson Scottsdale auction and saw a 1953 in the exact color combination go across the block. It sold for $643,500.00! Here's a link for the sale showing that car:

http://www.timesunion.com/carsense/slideshow/Hottest-cars-from-Scottsdale-auction-101332/photo-7405937.php

I have no idea if the car that was auctioned was the one I sold, since I don't know anything about the car after I sold it, except to whom it was sold.

Back to lurking...

Mark

P.S. I'm also reading with interest about the 126 suspension. Mine rides like a truck! It's time to get back to the ride it had when I bought it in 1993. (O.K., now back to lurking!)

Mark E. Peneguy
1988 420SEL, 271K

Wow! some car!  Too bad you didn't keep it!

Bilstein shocks and new rear subframe bushings may help a lot.