On Mon, Feb 16, 2015 at 1:44 PM, Max Dillon via Mercedes
<mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:
> Long time ago I had an answering machine that could be set to start with the
> three tones used to signal the phone service had been disconnected.  Very
> effective at stopping the unwanted calls.  Real humans would listen past the
> tone, then either leave a message or try again later.

I had one of these that did the same:

http://www.amazon.com/Privacy-Technologies-TZ-900-TeleZapper-900/dp/B00006881R

Reviews are poor but mine seemed to work well enough, though you still
have to grab the phone unless you screen calls.

Now I use an ObiTalk and Google Voice, and get basically no robocalls.

Best,
Tim