I'm onboard with a blocked cooling passage. Get your guy to open the block drain (which hasn't been done at least since I got the car) and blow the crud out...
-Curt
      From: dseretakis--- via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
To: Andrew Strasfogel <astrasfo...@gmail.com>; Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
 Sent: Thursday, February 19, 2015 10:03 AM
 Subject: Re: [MBZ] Overheating 240D more info
Car overheats sometimes. Can go for days or hundreds of miles and be fine then it'll decide to overheat. Everything that I can think of except for coolant passage blockage somewhere or head bolts bottomed out or crack in head has been ruled out. But head issues unlikely in my opinion as car will start reliably in 5 degree temps without block heater or synthetic oil.

Block drain won't let out big chunks that would block the flow. I'd say pull the freeze plugs and the WP housing. then flush forwards and back with lotsa water.

It there are chunks, you should at least be able to see them after forward and back flushing. Hopefully, any chunks will be on the floor afterwards, and no longer in the engine.

If it had deetriot style freeze plugs, I'd say somebody pushed a freeze plug inside, and it moves around. If my memory is right, there are sheet metal freeze plugs on the back of the block, under the bell housing adapter. (in front of the flywheel too)