Since both my '84 300D & '85 300TD have trouble maintaining heat as chosen via
the thumbwheel on the left of the PBU and I've been through (including
resoldering) the troubleshooting guide numerous times for both units and not
found a definitive problem.  To explain about the problem of not maintaining
heat, what actually happens for example when a temperature is chosen via the
thumbwheel on the PBU say just below the MAX (note: click stop setting), the
heat will gradually disappear within a couple minutes and I have to keep
switching to MAX, etc.  Since I've inspected the neoprene seals of the mono
valve inserts in both cars using a 10X loop and haven't been able to locate any
very small holes, I recently purchased new mono valve inserts  and installed a
new one in the 300D and drove it this evening and had no heat no matter what .
. . go figure.  Like I believe many others on this list, I wish these cars had
the old mechanical heating/cooling control system and not the dreaded elec
 tronic fancilessness.
G. M. Brown
Brevard, NC