Ok so I have rough idle, knock loudest after start but now I can still hear
it after motor warmed up, instant start, decent power, rebuilt injectors,
compression of 290 in #4 and 390 in the others. Seems like a bad valve
guide as I can hear air leak near #4 at the head when turning it by hand.
Valves have been adjusted and checked again for good measure. No oil in
water or vice versa.

Does low compression cause knocking? Otherwise I fear lower end badness.
Doubt injection pump problem as this is new at about 190k