Yep, another one already. Some of you may have seen part (the 2 visitors/strangers) of this before.

WEATHERSBY FARM
By Wilton Strickland

In January of 1944, we moved to the Thad Weathersby Farm in Franklin County, NC, between Spring Hope and Zebulon. The land on this farm was red, hard and rocky. I remember watching Carson and W. B., my seventeen and fifteen-year-old brothers, trying to plow with, as usual, a mule-drawn, walk-behind plow. The ground was so hard, it was very difficult to keep the plow in the ground, and the abundant rocks made the plows bounce around throwing the boys violently up and down and from side to side. Early in the year, Daddy, Carson and W. B. were in the woods cutting wood to be used to cure the year's tobacco crop. They were using a long crosscut saw and an ax to fell trees and cut them into sections for the barn furnaces. Daddy was using the ax when W. B. stepped in front of it and received a severe cut on the leg above his kneecap. Daddy carried W. B. to the house in his arms, and Carson drove them to a doctor. W. B. recovered completely, but he was out of school for several days and used crutches for several weeks. In the yard near the house was a small wooden building used as a shop of sorts. The shop did not have many tools, but I spent a lot of time in the building tinkering, building bird houses, toy boats, etc., from small pieces of scrap lumber and learning to saw with a dull hand saw. In early spring, a nice pile of new, rough-sawed, pine lumber was delivered to the farm to use in building a new tobacco-curing barn. Much of the lumber was 1" X 12" boards. I freely used these boards and the nails provided with them to make three or four long flower boxes for our front porch. I never asked permission to use this lumber. When I had an idea for a project, I just "scrounged" (took) what I "needed" from the pile. Neither Daddy nor the landowner ever said a word to me about taking the lumber and nails. Daddy was there with me every day, and the landowner came often. They both knew what I was doing, though we never discussed it. They probably thought the carpentry exercises were "good training" for an industrious 10-year-old boy. Mama and I used the boxes to raise lots of petunias and other flowers I don't remember. One Saturday afternoon in early summer, Carson, Daddy and I were returning home after grocery shopping in Spring Hope. We came upon two young men in their early twenties, standing by the road trying to "hitch" a ride. We stopped for them, and they got into the back seat with me. They were thin, dirty & unshaven and had no luggage or baggage - no package of any sort - that I remember. They said that they had not had a meal in several days and had been eating green, raw corn from the fields by the road. They told us that they were from New Jersey and just "bumming" around the country on an "adventure." Because tobacco harvest time was just beginning, and labor was in short supply, Daddy made a deal with them to stay with us for the summer and help with the harvest. They had never been on a farm before, but learned quickly, seeming to enjoy all of it, especially when I would let them "drive" the mules pulling the small tobacco trucks back and forth from the fields to the curing barn. At times, however, they wanted the mules to go too fast for our safety and the animals' good health. Once, when one of them was driving the mule pulling an empty tobacco trunk along the side of the busy, paved highway, and I was in the truck with him, he was making the mule run. Suddenly, the mule bolted onto the pavement in front of an approaching Trailways bus! The bus driver and I stared into each other's terrified eyes as the bus skidded toward us and stopped close enough for me to reach out and touch the front of it. Every day I've had since that day has been a bonus. The visitors and I soon became good friends and were often "alone" - just the three of us. Almost every time we were "alone," one of them would ask me if I spoke German, sometimes pressing me with, "Are you sure you don't speak German?" Of course, I, a ten-year-old farm boy in eastern North Carolina in 1944, did not speak German. After being assured each time that I did not speak German, they would go into a private & lengthy conversation in German. Until a few years ago, I had never told anybody else in the family about these conversations in German and their insistence that I not be able to understand them. They never spoke German around others in the family, and I was too young and naïve to suspect anything other than what they had told us, but I now feel certain that the two young men were, indeed, German. The two visitors were with us for six or eight weeks until Daddy began to suspect that he may have been harboring "draft dodgers" and asked them to leave. They left our lives as suddenly as they had entered. Meanwhile, they had become part of our family - ate with us, slept in our house, wore my brothers' clothes, etc. - a relaxed & comfortable part of the family. Though they became such a part of the family for that short time, I do not remember their names; I vaguely remember that one was blond and the other darker. Years later, after I had gained some knowledge of German, and learned that there had been German prisoner-of-war camps in Eastern North Carolina and German ships/submarines had been sunk near the coast, I realized that these two were most likely escaped German prisoners of war or even survivors from a sunken German ship. There were times many years ago, while watching a movie with German speakers or someone speaking English with a German accent, when I would feel that I had heard certain sounds and accent before, finally realizing and remembering that I had heard them in 1944 from our two visitors. How ironic that these two lived with us in friendship while two of my brothers were at war trying to rid the world of their maniacal leader and his thugs - one of my brothers, Lewis, was on Omaha Beach in Normandy at the same time the visitors were living with us. Later that year, Carson, who slept in the same room with the visitors as "brothers," was drafted into the army and fought in Germany the following spring. At the same time I had such a fear and hatred of Germans as a little boy (because of the talk of war, news on the radio, in the papers, the enemy, etc.), these two kind, young German men lived with us and were my good friends. (For years, I have wondered what happened to the two visitors. Who were they, really, and where were they really from? Did they stay on in the states after the war? Have they kept their "secret" all these years, or did they return to Germany a year or so after they lived with us? Have they raised families - are their families German or American? Have they told their children and families about my mother, who cooked three full meals for them every day and cared for them in many other ways as if they were her own children? Have they told their families about the kind, tenant-farmer family in North Carolina who gave them refuge, treating them as sons and brothers during such a cruel and terrible time in world history? Can we all take this as a good example of how even mortal enemies can live in peace, harmony & trust if we look at each other as fellow humans in need of comfort without all the usual "baggage" of politics and religion? I hope so.) Several times, when trucking tobacco (driving the mule pulling the trucks of green leaves from the fields to the curing barns) during the summer, I'd stop by the house to get water or a snack for the men in the field and take a few minutes "extra" to listen to "The Lone Ranger" or "Tom Mix" on the radio. This is the only time I've ever told anybody else about the "extra" time. 'Musta worked out OK, anyway; it has been nearly 71 years, and nobody's ever mentioned it. My sister, Joyce, and I often went into the woods to pick wild blackberries during the summer and ripe plums and scuppernong grapes in autumn. We usually filled the gallon Karo syrup buckets we each carried and almost always got heavy infestations of "red bugs" (chiggers), under our arms and in the crotch area. Applications of turpentine or kerosene and generous washings with box lye soap usually cleared them away. The jams and jellies Mama made with the wild fruit were fantastic and enjoyed immensely by all members of the family throughout the winter. In early autumn, Mama's eight-year-old nephew, whose mother and three siblings had recently been killed in a house fire in Ontario, came to live with us. Late in the year, Mama bought me a new suit, a very rare item for me - 'don't remember having another suit until I was graduating from high school eight years later. (Whenever I needed a coat and tie while in high school, I usually wore W. B.'s.) After church one Sunday soon after getting the suit, Mama kept prodding me to change clothes before going out to play. She was afraid I would mess up the new suit. I wanted to keep enjoying wearing it. I went outside for a few minutes to show it off to a friend who lived nearby and immediately fell into a red mud hole! 'Never wore the suit again. Mothers do, indeed, know best. In October, Carson was drafted into the Army, and W. B. became the family driver. Carson was an infantry rifleman on a half-track crew in the 6th Armored Division in Germany when the war in Europe ended in May, '45. He went back there for a year and a half or so with the occupation forces in '46/'47.

Wilton