There was a big kerfuffle when I was in college back in late 80's, Madison
WI.  Gay community was pushing hard for city legislation to protect them
from discrimination in housing (private apartment rentals).  Went on for
over a year, then one of the college paper reporters visited the "HQ" of
the main group.  Right inside the front door was a big bulletin board of
"Gay/Lesbian ONLY" advertisement, apartments and ride-sharing I think,
probably other businesses.  Turns out they had their own way of
discriminating, saw nothing at all wrong with organizing and promoting
that.