I am the youngest of three, and the only one who did not attend parochial
school for grades K-8.

My failure to attend was due to the unwillingness of the parish refusing to
discount tuition after two children were enrolled, much to the chagrin of my
father.

Anyway, due to my attendance in the heathen public system, I had to attend
catechism classes on Saturday mornings, cutting into my Warner Brothers cartoon
watching significantly.  One of my best friends at the time, Joe, attended with
me which was nice, as it made us kindred souls.

We were constantly getting in trouble for our rowdyism, which gave the rather
elderly nuns a real run for their money. Finally, after who knows what Joe and
I did one day, the nun locked us in the janitor's closet with the light off to
"settle us down".

As you might imagine, this was great fun for a couple of second grade boys.
Unfortunately, our parents failed to agree with us when we told them about it.
All I can recall is that my Dad went to the rectory and got ugly with the head
priest about it, and I didn't have to go to catechism class after that. I did
get through confirmation, which was the last big step at the time (I believe
they do confirmation at a much later time in life now, which makes a lot more
sense. At the time I didn't understand the significance of why I had to go
through all this crap only to get slapped in the face by the archbishop.)

Dan, no longer a practicing Catholic - I got good at it!

Sent from my iPad