Sounds like it needs gleitpaste, the special MB lube, which I believe is a high moly content grease for the sunroof glides. (or the cable may be messed up) You can buy a sunroof cable.

Rusty used to pack gleitpaste in small tins, like for perc caps. for a reasonable price.

MB only sells it by the liter or kilo or some such thing. I think you could find a Molykote product that will workas well.

Craig,

I may try that next.  Currently the sunroof has a nasty habit of only
opening a couple of inches and then stopping.  If I manually crank it
closed a bit, then the motor will start working again an close it up,
however the special socket for manual operation of the sunroof is messed
up, so I have to try to put a 1/4 wrench right on the shaft, which is not
too easy to rotate once the wrench is in place.

The other potential leak point would be the windshield corner drain, that
goes down between fender and firewall at the corner behind the battery.
I've never heard of a leak developing there, but if I try the hose test,
I'll start low on the car and work my way up.

On Mon, Apr 13, 2015 at 11:25 AM, Craig <diese...@pisquared.net> wrote:

 On Mon, 13 Apr 2015 07:19:59 -0400 Meade Dillon <dillonm...@gmail.com>
 wrote:

 > I'm going to check the sunroof drains next.  Any other ideas?

 Does dousing it with a garden hose cause water incursion?

 Can you narrow down the entry point that way?

 Craig