I promised more about Helco.  FWIW:

One of our neighbors was an engineer who helped with the setup of the first windmill farm. He was a great guy. However: Helco/Hawaiian Electric owned an insurance co. Nice way to make a lot of extra money. All was great until Hurricane Iniki hit Kauai. The massive devastation caused lots of insurance claims. So what's an insurance co to do? Well, contractually, they should pay the claims and lick their wounds. Not Helco. They went to the state legislature and asked for a donation (very large donation) from the state's taxpayers without their knowledge or consent. Nach, the D legislators are quite happy to donate other people's money. SO Helco got their extortion money "donated."

Nothing unusual about the above. Here is the punch line: Helco claimed they needed to extort taxpayer money for the damage because "their shareholders expected a dividend every year, and Helco felt the investors should have a dividend, and should not suffer a loss because of the hurricane!"

Yeah! Hey state! I suffered losses, I want a dividend and to earn money! Where's my bailout?

WHAT?  I don't get one? ...

HELCO is a sack of excrement. I lost any respect for HELCO after that. THe shareholders "deserved" dividends no matter what. screw the taxpayers.