My dad's parents did not have running water or indoor plumbing until my parents built them a new house in 1968 or so with all the amenities. I don't recall what my grandmother did about washing clothes, I vaguely recall them going into town to the laundromat, I never saw her do hand washes other than small things. I'm sure she did as your mother did though, when the kids were all around, or made the girls do it. The new house had a washer and dryer which my grandmother thought was a gift from heaven.

The "bath"room was the back porch in warmer weather, with a wash basin, wash cloth, and bar of soap, and inside in a back room when it was cold outside (and the house was not a lot warmer, with a big oil heater in the front room to keep the house "warm." The "little house" was out back, which had been modernized as a large corrugated metal pipe, like go under roads for streams to flow through, about 5ft diameter with a door torched in it and a cone roof on top. I hauled that thing off to the scrap yard when I sold the farm a few years ago and filled in the pit.

--R