Weather has not been cooperating and I was working too much to deal with the PS
problem.  For the life of me I could not get my head around how to access the
silly thing short of tearing the car apart.

Today I had less wet weather and crawled under the car to see what I could do.
Brake cleaner all over the built up muck to be able to visualize damage and
extent of possible future shop bills were I unable to get a handle on the
problem.  I got the pump loose enough in the cradle to adjust it a bit and
figured out I should be able to stuff my fat paws in enough to at least feel
for why the fluid was escaping the lower hose.  I found out the nut is a 17mm,
and when I tried to get the head on the nut it spun a bit.  That was WAY to
loose.  I could not get the wrench on it well enough to move it tight no matter
how I tried to stuff my hand or arm at odd angles.  It looked like I was going
to have to remove the lower control arm.

Last visit to the PnP I had snagged a battery tray from the W115 280C that had
some rust through but was a real part, not the garbage chinese battery pan
living in the car now.  I had sanded the OE tray and given it a shot of rust
fix rattle can and some generic black coats.  The rubberized plasti-cote on the
chinee pan had delaminated and rust was rampant.  May as well put the real benz
pan in, since the battery being used was a 36R, not the group 49.  Tiny tray
instead of the large one in the car at the moment that left the small thing
swimming.  The cheapo pan came out and ... whoddathunkit!  I could access the
dang nut on the PS Hose.  Used a crow foot to get in there and tighten it up,
then filled the PS reservoir.    Even put in a filter, since it came to me
without.  Gave it some time to burp itself and kept looking at the hose to see
if there was seepage.

NO SEEPING or piddling so far.  I have not fired up the engine to run the pump.
 The OE battery pan has completely other bolt pattern to hold the pan in.  I am
not sure how that is, but that is what i found.  I peeled the nasty plasticote
off the pan, used a wire wheel brush to deal with rust, then rattle can rust
fixed it, put a few coats of generic black and am waiting for that to cure
before the battery goes back in.

Next solution is to get the transmission able to spin the wheels without
killing the engine.  I am thinking the PO had the transmission adjusted without
the shift bushings installed and that buggered up the proper positions of the
gears now that the bushings are installed.

clay

2002 s430 - Victor, a Stately & well tailored chap
1974 450sl -  Frosch - Two tone green
POS 1987 SDL - Beware Nigerian Scammers