It's a fuse - it's a strip of metal designed to melt at a given current.
Change in metal type would only change the thickness of metal used.  I don't
think it really matters what the metal is, so long as it works.  New fuses
are better than old ones though, because they get dirty and don't conduct as
well, blah blah blah.