From [EMAIL PROTECTED] Sat Jan 28 15:37:29 2006
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 09:37:32 -0600
From: Rich Thomas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [MBZ] Ricer Rat Rod Musings

So in my dad's barn is a 70something Datsun wagon that belonged to my
grandfather, and when he got sick/died my dad stuck it in the barn where
it has sat for 15 or 20 years.  I was visiting the other day and dusted
it off and looked at it.  It is quite good shape body-wise, the interior
smells really bad from all the inhabitants over the years.  It was
running when parked, probably would not be hard to get running again.
But that was not really my thought...

It is a little front-wheel drive thing, nothing special, but kinda funky
in its way.  Got me thinking that doing a rat rod job on it might be
kinda fun at some point, put some power in it, rear-wheel drive, weld in
some frame to hold it all, etc.  An old rat rod ricer!  Then I got
thinking that rather than the standard 350, an old Benz engine/tranny
would be kinda cool.  Probably not a diesel unless I did one of those
Finnish mods to give it stupid power.  And it would have to have a
boomer sound system and wiper/underneath neon and skulls (or maybe
Godzilla heads).  And a couple of wings, gotta have wings.

The car has a 4 ft track and an 8ft wheelbase, more or less, a sheet of
plywood size!  Not a lot of room to stick much under the hood, but those
older SLs really cram a lot in not much more space, if even.  And 190s
and such are not a lot bigger.  Hmmm...  A 6 or an 8, maybe a 5?

Any thoughts?  (I realize this could be viewed as really stupid, or
whacked, or weird, and I agree!)  Donations?

(This is a better discussion than loud motorcycle mufflers)

--R