Federal employees do pay from their paychecks for retirement annuity
(FERS), can contribute to the 401k equivalent (TSP) which has matching up
to 5%, and pay social insecurity, medicare, etc. etc.

Congress critters have been able to exempt themselves from some laws (like
insider trading) and still automatically pay themselves a nice fat pay
raise each year, but they have the same retirement plan, same healthcare
options, and pay the same taxes on their federal pay like all other federal
employees.

Personally I think federal employees and military members paying federal
income tax is one of the stupidest things ever, sending money in a big
circle which costs more money.  However that waste of time and money is
small change compared to most of the waste in the federal budget.

Max
Charleston SC