Had a strange problem with my 78 240D last Thursday - was on the Interstate doing 70 or so when I heard a bump and noticed the dash lights on and water temp rising - knew a belt was gone so I switched off and coasted to a stop.

The AC belt was off its pulleys and laying on the engine bay - the alt/water pump/ crank belt was no where to be seen. I saw it a 1/4 mile down the road in 2 pieces! Anyway - couldn;t get the PS belt loose to remove so I cut it and got my spare belt from the trunk - didn;t have proper wrnech to adjust the alternator so the belt would fit so I managed to pry it on over the main pulley - it was a little loose but it got us home.

All new belts (the old ones were only about 5 years/30,000 miles old) and now all is well - but it has emphasized the need to do a detailed check of the belts more often than I did. I usually check things over about once a month but since becoming disabled and no longer driving to work the 240D was being used less & less & I obviously wasn;t checking things often enough.

It always starts instantly (without block heater) in weather to the teens - but it seems quieter now that it has new belts. Anyway - take a few minutes to examine your belts - it ain;t NO fun to work on the side of the road! I feel *very* fortunate to have been able to wrestle the belt back over the pulleys so we could get home without a tow. I've also updated my tool kit to include wrenches needed to loosen & retighten the alternator. I can easily get along with out AC and PS - but we ain;t going NO where without the water pump. Oh yeah, I'm glad I had a razor to cut the PS belt - made life easier -

Sincerely,
Larry T ('74 911, '67 MGB, 78 240D - 287k)

A Blood Test for your oil - www.youroil.net
For Test Results http://members.rennlist.com/oil
Weber Carb Stuff http://members.rennlist.com/webercarbs
http://members.rennlist.com/my_911/Index.htm For my Paint Job Info