Dan Penoff via Mercedes wrote:
There was an 80s vintage BMW diesel, which I looked at once when searching for my 1979 300TD. Randy Steele warned me off of them, saying that they had some serious issues with heads leaking, I believe. Sounds like the rodbender MB engines.

324d or 524td.
It was a smooth and powerful little 2.4L inline six.
Sipped fuel like a 240D, cracked heads like a 1.6L Volkswagen.

Lincoln bought some of the turbo engines in the mid 1980s, if you can imagine getting 32mpg hwy in a Continental when the speed limit was 55mph. Then there's the Vixen motorhome, a somewhat brutal environment for a small turbocharged engine with weak heads.

Mitch.

Nasty little engine that makes a 350SDL/350SD look very reliable. Expensive little bugger too.