It's been my experience with rechargeable batteries that as they reach
their cycle limits, their ability to take a charge declines, thus the
charging circuit tries to "push charge" ... and the battery fails to hold
it, so the conflict between the dying battery and the over worked charger
presents a "no win" for either one.

I would suggest a new battery is an easy fix, before it also "cooks the
charge circuit".