Guys,
The engines in both cars are fine. The tranny in the 116 is flacky. The tranny in the 123 is a rebuilt with less than 100K on it. Since a new/rebuilt tranny for the 116 would be more than the 123 is probably worth, I thought it might be worth considering having my Indy use the 123 as a donor for the 116. The 300SD is a much better shape car than the 123 and a smoother ride, so it might make sense to do that.....or not. I'm just pondering and seeking advice/opinions. I still haven't found an answer for the 116 tranny problem. I bought the tranny used and my Indie installed it. If you let it shift easy (slow acceleration), it will shift fine or first shift when cold. If you give it medium acceleration, it wants to slip when it changes gears. If you accelerate hard and quickly let off at about 35 mph, it will jump right into 4th and runs fine. Once in 4th/drive it accelerates fine, except, of course, the kick down doesn't work, because it wants to slip. My Indie says he's checked the vac/modulator/linkage/etc. and all are supposedly fine. Anyone else have any thoughts. The kick down wasn't working correctly before and my Indie hooked it back up when he put in the tranny. Since the diesel doesn't really need 3rd gear, it would be nice to be able to just bypass it, but I don't know of any way to do that.
Thanks for any suggestions, thoughts, etc.
Best Wishes,
Roger
Roger Hale
Dinnerware Classics, Inc.
Monroe, Ga.
770-267-0850
www.dinnerwareclassics.com (new)
www.southernnightsantiques.com (antique)

___

Call sun valley transmissions, ask for the owner, describe your symptoms and take careful note of what he says.

Sun Valley Transmissions
15468 Cabrito Rd, Van Nuys, CA 91406
(818) 782-2300