On 07/10/2015 11:45 AM, Curly McLain via Mercedes wrote:
I've decided to spring for a rechargeable/cordless circular saw, maybe also
a sawzall.

Which among the Big Three is the best brand in the "reasonable" (lay
person) price range?  Which one should I avoid?  Is there another good
brand?  My chief criterion is duration of battery charge (longer is better).

I have the dewalt recip saw. I also have a corded Milw. Sawzall, and it is the cats meow for heavy work. It is the original, and still the best. They sell a cheaper corded sawzall now, but this is the one that is around $200 or $179 on sale around here. Stronger and more long lasting than the ones that are $139 on sale.

I am quite happy with the dewalt fake sawzall. It is light, and I find for most things I grab it and a battery or two and go. I had the dewalt drill/driver with 2 batteries and a charger, so I am all dewalt for cordless. I bought a 12" tree trim blade and I use it mostly with the cordless to cut small downed limbs and whatnot. Anything serious and I'd grab the Stihl or the milw. Sawzall.

Any home despot/lowes has dewalt, so it is easy to find service/accessories. Often on sale/kits etc. so all my battery stuff is dewalt. Son has milw. cordless drill.

IMHO, I think Milwaukee in general, is the best, but you pay more. For my occasional use, the dewalt consumer grade stuff is ok. I have a Milw, corded hammerdrill, and it is what I grab for serious stuff.

No experience with makita, except the original 4" grinder, and that is//was the cats meow for small grinders. (original and maybe still the best, but most pros use dewalt now.)

I think there are different grades of Makita. Not sure but I have a couple of Makita items that are great but I also had a cordless drill kit purchased from Canadian Tire that was junk. Not sure, but suspect that Makita makes some stuff for the cheaper stores that is not up to its historical standards.

RB

As does dewalt