Got a borrowed VAG Tacho cable today which allows my laptop to get the magic
code for programming keys to my car. My VCDS cable that will work with the
car's diagnostics can do the programming but can't retrieve the magic code.My
Indy's cheap chinesium cable couldn't talk to my car's ecu at all so I put out
the word on TDIClub and a guy offered me his cable.
Worked a treat once I understood the procedure, you tell it how many keys to
program, which is to say you tell it how many keys you have, you have to
program all of them every time. It then programs the key in the ignition at
that moment, you remove that key, put the next key in and turn the car on but
don't start it. Count to 5, remove that key and put in the last one, when the
immobilizer light goes out they're all programmed.
I had a hard time trusting in the "count to 5" and move on part so this took me
a couple tries.
Then I programmed the remotes so all the keys can open the doors and it looks
like this phase of reviving this car is done. This is a big relief, we've been
living with just one key which was frightening...
Two more steps to perfection, the rear brakes still drag a little so they'll
get replaced and I still need one front fender...
I fueled up today, 460+ miles traveled for not quite 10 gallons of fuel, so
46+mpg, its getting there.
Tomorrow's mission is to find the vacuum leak that sets the check engine light
on the Jetta and get that car inspected. Probably ought to think about the snow
tires for it too.

-CurtNo idea what VAG Tacho and VCDS mean, thats just what the cables are
called.