The best analogy I can think of would be if you had an automatic transmission
with one planetary gear set, and made the case of that transmission into an
eclectic motor/generator.  Add another electric motor around the driveshaft,
between the "transmission" and the differential.  Now you can drive the rear
axle with just the electric motor around the driveshaft, or use the
motor/generator "transmission" to allow the engine to add power to the
driveshaft, and get the "CVT" control by using electronics to control the
rotational speed of the motor generator "transmission".  As you change the
rotating speed of the "transmission" (or even change the direction of its spin)
you can get CVT performance forward or reverse.
--
Max Dillon
Charleston SC