Corrosion in the rheostat. I soldered a jumper to bypass the dimmer, since the bubs are pretty dim anyway.

The dash lights (including all instrument cluster gauges and ACC control
panel) on my 1985 300TD quit working when I took the car for a spin after
it had sat idle for a couple weeks.  The radio lights continue to work,
however.

I fiddled with the dimmer control know but nothing changed, and the lights
did NOT come on briefly/intermittently while i was twisting the knob back
and forth.  Other than the rheostat, could anything else be causing these
symptoms?