Yeah, I finally figgered out it was not showing me the USB Stick, but the partition on it. Once I found out how to see the stick, then the partition tab showed up.

Right now it is loading the OS on the stick FINALLY!

Format the USB drive first. Put it in, run Disk Utility, and create a single partition on it that is Mac OS Extended. Screw the erase stuff, that's silly.

As you know, creating a new partition on it will blow anything that's on it away, so erasing is moot. If you just bought the USB drive, I'll bet you $10 it's formatted in FAT or NTFS. Once you've created a new partition in a Mac format it should be just fine.

Then do your restore to the USB using the disk image.

Dan