Levi Smith wrote:

> I remember seeing some article about dual-wheels in general at some point.
> Nothing particular to Mercedes that I recall.  Seems they were more or less
> something like twin motorcycle wheels in place of a single car wheel.  The
> benefits being better traction in water, probably some others...

When I first read about it in Popular Science, the idea was attributed
to an engineer whose Lotus Esprit got outrun by a 2CV in the rain. The
obvious answer was to put it on skinny tires, but if he did that, it
would handle like a 2CV in the dry, so he used eight of them on special
wheels. Goodyear later refined the idea into the Aquatred.