I'd put in a new seal (probably under $10 at a bearing house.) and run it. You have nothing to lose. You can always buy a new gearbox later IF you have to.

Do I replace gearbox with new?  Or just fill it up and keep on using
the mower?  This is 20-year old Kohler engine BobcatRansomes 48"
walkbehind and new gearbox is probably $400.  Output shaft is blued
and plastic sheath protection on output shaft melted.  Do bevel /
spiral gears lose temper when run without lube in gearbox?  Gearbox is
belt driven under the deck, shaft with spiral gear in gearbox at top
of deck drives gear on output shaft that is 5/8" x 30" to belt drive
wheel drive belt.  Shaft end bearings are pressed on and preloaded?
and that seems another big fix item to deal with with no bearing
puller and preload tools.  Yeah, shoulda seen leak at gearbox when
cleaning the machine, but... didn't.  Whaddaya thunk?
Thanks.
mao