My lift has safety interlocks ever 4 inches that click into place as the
lift goes up. If anything fails it can't drop more than 4 inches. You have
to release the safety locks to lower the lift. The "chains" are multi layer
links rated for way more than the lift is, so I feel pretty safe walking
under a vehicle.

However, the rule in my shop is.. never place a body part you want to keep
between what ever can fall and the ground,
 so the sign reads:  SAFETY FIRST - STUPID SECOND