For those that knew him, my father, Peter Heimuller, passed to the Maker on Friday. He was diagnosed with cancer in May and fought hard to beat it. In the last two weeks it became apparent that he was going to lose the fight and was being called home. His passing was calm and peaceful and occurred in the arms of his two sons.

For those that did not know him, Peter was a master mechanic, factory trained in Germany at Mercedes-Benz in the late 1950s. He also received factory Porsche and VW training. Peter was born in Kassel, Germany during WW2. As a child, Peter participated in sporting events and was awarded for his accomplishments by the town officials. Peter also served on board a number of the proud passenger ships operated by the German Navy including the SS Bremen. In 1961, he came to the USA with less than $5 in his pocket and made a life for his family. Peter founded a few automotive repair shops in the NYC metro-area over the years where he performed his art. In the early 1970's Peter forayed into drag racing and held a class record for close to a year. He ran in hy-gas with a modified Porsche S90 motor in a '59 VW Beetle. Before retiring in 1995 from the repair business, Peter had worked on some of the most prestigious Mercedes-Benzes built (pre and post war). His last business, Autobarn, specialized in repair and mechanical restoration of these cars. His passing is a serious loss to all fellow car enthusiasts.

However, Peter's greatest accomplishment was his dedication to his family. His love was strong, and like most fathers, would do anything for the welfare and happiness of the family. Peter's motto was work hard and play hard. Both of these were the way of life at home or in the shop.

It is an honor to have had as much time together as we did. So many things we experienced and were taught, we would not have without Peter. Integrity in life and work were paramount lessons instilled by him. As Peter would say: "Do the right thing at the right time."

At this time, please celebrate in Peter's passing with a prayer and a happy memory for those who knew him. He is free from the recent suffering, and is now in the throws of those who have passed before him, his parents, grand-parents, and his wife, my mother.

With a heavy heart,

Mathieu