eBay really stinks, I think.

I had the W220 up there last week, and it was a real comedy of errors, some of
which were my fault.

First of all, I forgot the the Sunday night it would end on was a Super Bowl
Sunday. Duh! The best possible ending time is Sunday night, the highest time
for watchers and users in general. Not last Sunday, though.

Then, a couple of days into the auction I realized I set the reserve $1000
lower than I had intended. Dang it! No raising of reserves, only lowering once
the auction starts.

So I figured I would let it run up until close to the close and pull it before
the reserve hit and I had to pay the listing fee ($125).

Meantime, I was getting deluged with PMs on what my reserve was, what I would
take for it, etc., etc.

I also found a rather insidious practice I hadn't seen before - people bidding
outrageous amounts to expose the reserve price, then retracting their bids. You
can see if they do this a lot by looking at their feedback profile as a buyer -
there is a field that shows the number of bids they have retracted.

It was not a pleasant experience, and I wouldn't do it again, I think.

Dan

Sent from my iPad