Clay - it's getting all new filters and fluids, something I do whenever I get a car that's new to me. That way I've got a point of reference for everything. I'll do the differential this weekend and probably the transmission next weekend.

Bob - it's weird - I have been driving this car with my diesel technique - foot to the floor, get it up to speed and let off to maintain. It gets to speed so quickly I've found my self consistently going well above the speed limit and not realizing it. I can only think that I've been channeling my old 1979 300TD, which you had to drive like this if you wanted to get anywhere.

Thanks to everyone for the help and suggestions, especially you diesel folks.

Dan

When I first drove a turbodiesel, the fastest Diesel I had driven was the escort, roughly similar to a 240D 4 speed. Before I knew it, the turbodiesel was up to 90 indicated. That was a vw. I was impressed.

The caveat to the "drive it like you stole it" mantra is this: Drive softly until the oil us up to operating temp. ~15 min. THEN Drive it like you stole it. Then either let it idle 5 min before you shut it down or drive softly the last 15 min.

Head cracks are caused mostly by driving it like you stole it with a cold engine. Oil temp gauges and Exhaust Gas Temp gauges (EGT Pyrometer) are good to have. Turbos are ruined (cooked) and head cracks are formed by drive it like you stole it, then shutting off the engine with high EGT. This operating strategy is good for both turbo and non-turbo diesel engines. The EGT gets higher in turbo engines. Higher boost =higher EGT.

Iron head engines are more prone to cracking than the OM60x engines, but i suspect the water jacket cracks common to the OM603 are caused by hard driving a cold engine. there can easily be 50% higher EGT when driving hard than driving soft. Having the engine up to operating temp before the eyetalyeen tuneup lessens the pressure differential.