Looking for bang for the buck here, willing to spend up to about $100.

Love my Fluke 83.  Have bought two Fluke 87's, used, under
your price mark.

The protective current fuse alone costs more than a HF meter on sale!

But there's no contest.  The 83 is what I reach for, year after
year.  (Digits are a bit larger than the 87, and the battery
lasts longer on it.)  The Fluke, with a clamp-on AC/DC ammeter,
is all you need.  The Flukes are many times faster at reading
than the HF's, and have analog scales too for the jumpy stuff.
(I prefer the 83's analog scale to the 87's.)  The 87 is true
RMS, and has a backlight, and one extra digit of precision.

-- Jim