      From: Curly McLain via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
 To: Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Cc: Curly McLain <126die...@gmail.com>
 Sent: Monday, February 29, 2016 11:57 PM
 Subject: Re: [MBZ] OT: Multimeter

A fast glance at the bay of fleas shows Fluke 335 for $89 used.  I
use the ac, DC and ohmmeter functions regularly.  I agree a HF will
work for almost anything except GP diagnosis and perhpas the tach
signal.

I try to keep HF or cheap multimeters that came with A+ training kits
in each car.  Even with those, you can detect an open GP, the most
common failure.  It would be difficult, but perhaps not impossible to
detect the difference between a good GP and a dead short with a
cheapo meter.

I have a radiojunk analog folding meter I bought in Kailua in 1989.
Harry Fuller had one just like it and I used his and liked it.  It
was about $35 then.  It could sort GPs better than anything until I
got the fluke.  BTW, Harry was a Pearl Harbor survivor,  He was on
Ford Island during the bombing and strafing.